※ hang out 消磨時光
Jack likes to hang out with his friends when he is not in school.
不上學時杰克喜歡和他的朋友在外面閑逛。
※ hit it off 相處得很好,合得來,和睦相處,(相互)喜歡
When I first met my roommate, I knew we’d hit it off well together.
第一次見到室友時,我就知道外面會合得來。
※ keep (someone) posted 使(某人)了解某個特殊的情形或形勢
In any event, I will keep you posted as to what happens to Mary after she gets married and moves to Canada.
無論如何,在瑪麗結婚和移居加拿大后我都會讓你知道她的情況。
※ keep tabs on (someone) 監視(某人)
I wish Susan would stop keeping tabs on me. Sometimes I want to study and be alone.
我希望自己不要總落在蘇珊的視線里,有時我想獨自學習。
※ over night 過夜
I don’t have much room in my house, but you are welcome to stay over night.
我家不大,但歡迎你在我家過夜。
※ pal 朋友(尤指“鐵哥們”)
I have a few pals in Washington who can help us with this immigration problem.
我在華盛頓有幾個鐵哥們,他們能幫我們解決這個移民問題。
※ palsy-walsy 好朋友
Tom is my palsy-walsy, I’ve known him for years.
湯姆是我的好朋友,我認識他多年了。
※ put in a good word for (someone) 為(某人)說好話,為(某人)說情
When I see the boss, I’ll put in a good word for you and maybe you can get a job with the company too.
見到老板時,我會替你說好話,你也許能在這家公司找到一份工作。
※ rap 談話,聊天
Let’s go over to the coffee shop and rap.
我們去咖啡店聊聊吧。
※ shoot the breeze 聊天,閑聊
Mark and his friends were sitting around table, enjoying food and shooting the breeze.
馬克和朋友坐在桌旁,一邊吃東西,一邊談天說地。
※ shoot the bull 談話,閑聊;說謊;吹牛
Sam, Don’t spend so much time shooting the bull.
薩姆,別花那么長的時間閑侃。
※ sidekick 好友,密友
Many of his sidekick attended his birthday party yesterday.
昨天,許多好友都參加了他的生日聚會。