Unit 1 People
※ tough cookie 堅強不屈的人,決不讓步的人
In business dealings, Michael has been a tough cookie.
處理生意上的事情時,邁克爾是個寸土必爭的人。
※ trouble-shooter 解決問題或困難的能手
As a trouble-shooterin computer, he makes good money.
由于能解決電腦方面的問題,他薪水很高。
※ turkey 無能的人,笨拙的人;討厭的人,讓人不快樂的人
Look at that turkey! He just cut in front of me with his car and almost hit us!
瞧那個蠢貨!超車時差點兒撞了我們!
※ V. I. P. 要人,大人物
The hotel was filled with V.I.P.s during the International.
在國際醫學大會期間,這個賓館里住的都是重要人物。
※ wierdo 怪人
If I don't get a haircut soon, people will think I’m a wierdo.
如果不趕快理發,人們會把我當做怪人的。
※ wind bag 愛講話的人,喋喋不休的人,夸夸其談者
Uncle Harry is such a wind bag, he puts everyone to sleep.
哈里大叔總是那樣夸夸其談,講得我們都睡著了。
※ white collar worker 文職工作者
He is a white collar worker at Detroit Motor Company.
他是底特律汽車公司的一名職員。
※ yes-man 唯唯諾諾的人,馬屁精
Peter’s assistant is really a yes-man.
彼特的助手真是個馬屁精。
※ yoyo 傻瓜(尤指易受人左右和擺布的人),笨蛋
Get that yoyo out of my office! I don't want to listen to his foolish ideas any longer.
把那個笨蛋趕出辦公室,我再也不想聽他胡說八道了。