V: Visitor來訪者 R=Receptionist接待員
V: Excuse me ,please. I’m here for a meeting with Bob Appleton.勞駕,我來這和鮑勃.阿波利頓開會。
R: Oh, yes. The planning meeting. That meeting is in the conference room. 好的。計劃中的會議。會議將在會議室舉行。
V: Where is the conference room, please? 請問會議室在哪里?
R: It’s on the third floor, opposite the elevator在三樓,電梯對面。
V: On the third floor, opposite the elevator, Thank you… Oh, by the way, is there a men’s a room on the third floor/
在三樓,電梯對面。謝謝你。順便問一下,男衛生間也在三樓嗎?
Yes
R: Yes, there is. It’s on the left as you get off the elevator.是的,有衛生間。下電梯左邊就是。
V: On the left as you get off the elevator. I see. One more question… is there a coffee shop in the building?
下電梯左邊就是。我知道了。還有一個問題,這棟樓里有咖啡廳嗎?
Yes
R: Yes, there’s one downstairs, across from the subway entrance.有,在樓下,對著地鐵的入口。
V: Across from the subway entrance. Thank you.在地鐵入口的對面,謝謝你。
在英國,人們更習慣說lift而不是elevator,他們在表達“出電梯”的時候一般說get out of the lift,而不是get off the elevator.
女洗手間叫做ladies’ room.洗手間也可以稱為restroom. 在英國最常用的單詞是toilet,但是,這個單詞在美國被認為是比較不文明的詞,所以最好不要使用它。
No
R: No, there isn’t , but there’s one on this floor. It’s right over there, next to the water cooler.
不,三樓沒有。但是這層有一個,就在那邊,挨著洗手池。
V: Next to the water cooler, Ok. Thank you. 挨著洗手池。好的。謝謝你。
R:You’re welcome. 別客氣。
向別人問路時為了確認自己是否知道了走法,你可以把聽到的內容重復一遍。
No
R: No, there isn’t, but there’s one in the hotel across the street. It’s on your right as you enter the hotel. 這里沒有,但是這條街對面的酒店里有。進酒店右轉就是。
在英國,除了用underground 來代替subway,倫敦地鐵也被稱為tube. subway在英國的意思是指(步行者用的)地下通道。