1. This is the Machinery Import and Export Corporation.
這里是機械進出口公司。
打電話報自己或自己單位名稱時,一般可用This is …開始,例如:
--llo. This is Asia Hotel.
喂,這里是亞洲旅社。
--Yes. Could I speak to Mr. Jones?
噢,我想和瓊斯先生說話。
--Hello, Mr. Zhang. This is Smith. Speaking.
張先生,我是史密斯先生。
2. Hold the line.
請別掛線。
這句話又可以說Hang on, please. Hold on, please,或Wait a moment.
Excuse me ,sir hold on, --Mrs.. Lawrence will speak to you herself.
請等一會兒,勞倫斯太太本人要和您說話。
Yes, Mr.Bitt is in. If you hold the line a moment, I’ll get him for you.
彼得先生在家。請別掛線。我去找他來接電話。
put throughbn也是打電話時的常用語。如果對方是總機,你要求連接分機,可以說:
can you put me throughto Number 5128?
請給我接5128號分機。
Please put me/this call to the diretor’s office.
請接主任辦公室。
4. I’m sorry. Mr.Pan isn’t in for the moment.
對不起,潘先生這會兒不在。
I’m sorry 是英國人表示道歉時的常用語。
I’m sorry 與Excuse me不同之處在于:我們要說的話或要做的事可能給對
不便時,一般預先說一聲Excuse me .當我們無意間有了失禮之處時,則趕緊說一聲I’m sorry.表示道歉。例如:
--Excuse me ,can you tell me ,can you tell me the time?
對不起,您能告訴我時間嗎?
--Sorry, but I don’t have a watch.
對不起,我沒帶表。
Excuse me ,could I get past? –Oh,I’m sorry, did I step on your foot?
對不起,可以讓我過去嗎?啊,對不起,踩著您的腳了吧。
5. Not until eleven, I’m afraid.
我恐怕(他)11點才能回來。
口語中I’m afraid 的意思往往相當于I’m sorry.用來使口氣顯得婉轉。例如:
I’ve got some bad news for uyou, I’m afraid.
我(恐怕)給你帶來了不好的消息。
I’m afraid I can’t stay for the night.
我恐怕不能在這兒過夜。
You don’t see my point, I’m afraid.
我想你沒明白我的意思。
6. Would you mind taking a message for me?
(1)would you mind 或do you mind 常用于請求對方做某事,或者請求對方允許做某事。
Oh,by the way, would you mind opening the window?
哦,順便插一句,請把窗戶打開好不好?
Do you mind my leaving this payment until next year?
這筆款子我貿留到明年再付,你說行嗎?
回答這類問句時,如果同意(開窗,明年付款)可以說certainly not, 意思是I don’t mind.如果拒絕,通常委婉說出理由。或者說I wish you wouldn’t. 如果說Yes, I do (mind).是很生硬的。中國人在這方面常犯錯誤。
(2)take a message捎口信
leave a message
Did he leave any message—for anybody?
我有沒有留口信—不論是給誰的。
Mary left the message that she might be in to dinner.
瑪麗留口信說她可能回來晚飯。
7. Go ahead, please.
請講吧(課文中意思)。
Go ahead是讓對方開始某一個動作的用語。
Go ahead ,we ‘re all listening.
講吧,我們都在洗耳恭聽。
You should apologize to her. Go ahead, now.
你應該向她道歉,去吧。
8. Details will be discussed after my returning from Singapore.
詳情待我從新加坡回來再討論。
動詞的ing形式常可以和before,after, since, on等介詞駐when, while, if等
連詞構成短語,用作狀語。這種結構比狀語從句簡便,口語中常采用。
You mustthink it over carefully before making a decision.
你一定要仔細考慮一下,然后再做決定。
We got the jobfinished by working sixteen hours a day.
你們一天干16小時,把工作干完了。
When making the offer, pleasesee that the prices are on FOB basis.
報價時,請注意價格為裝運港船上交貨價。
9. Thank you for the trouble taken.
謝謝您費心了。
taken 是過去分詞,用在句子中做定語修飾trouble.它相當于定語從句which/that has been taken.口語中這種分詞代替定語從句修飾名詞的方法運用較多。例如:
We have to pay duties on goods imported.
我們對進口的商品要交稅。
Most of the people invited to the fair were old friends.
邀請來交易會的大多數是老朋友。
Here’s the message left by Mrs. Brown.