※ fifth wheel 多余的人
Once you feel like a fifth wheel, you’d better get away.
你一旦覺得自己是個多余的人,最好走開。
※ fink 卑鄙的家伙;討厭的人
That fink told the professor that I cheated on the exam.
那個討厭的家伙把我考試作弊的事兒告訴了
※ flake 不負責任的人;古怪的人;(尤指)富有個性的人
That flake promised to help me but he didn’t show up, and it has happened twice till now.
那個說話不算數的家伙答應要幫我,可連他的人影都看不見,并且到目前為止已經有兩次這樣的事兒了。
※ fuddy-duddy 古板的人;守舊的人
Her boss is such a fuddy-duddy, he won’t allow her to chew gum or smoke cigarettes on the job.
她的老板古板得要命,不準她在工作時嚼口香糖或抽煙。
※ gal Friday (尤指辦公室里)得力的女助手或女秘書;女勤雜工
The company will hire a gal Friday next week.
這家告訴下周將聘用一名女秘書。
※ good egg 好人;正人君子
Larry is really a good egg to help us move from Reno to San Francisco.
拉里真是個好人,他幫我們從雷諾搬到了舊金山。
※ hard nut to crack 難對付的人
Wendy is such a hard nut to crack. I’ve seen her around the office for two years, but I still don’t really know her.
溫迪這個人不是盞省油的燈,兩年來我們經常在辦公室附近碰面,但是我仍然不了解她。
※ hick 農夫,鄉下人;鄉巴佬,土包子
He is such a hick, he forgot to cut off the price tag on his new hat!
他真是個鄉巴佬,在戴新帽子時竟然忘了把上面的價簽剪掉。
※ hot number 漂亮、性感的女人
Being a hot number, she has become a model.
由于漂亮和性感,她成了一名模特兒。
※ it takes all kinds to make the world go around 大千世界,無奇不有
Don’t you think Professor Pyle is a character? Well, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
難道你不認為派爾教授是個怪人嗎?唉,這個世界就是千奇百怪!
※ Jack of all trades 能做各種事情的人,萬能博士
Todd is a real Jack of all trades. He can fix your car, your watch, or your television if it breaks.
托德真是個多面手,能修車,還能修表,如果你的電視機壞了,他也能修。
※ jerk 蠢人
What a jerk! He left his girlfriend standing in the rain while he sat comfortably in his car.
他多蠢啊!讓女朋友站在雨中,自己卻舒舒服服地坐在車里。